Pages

.

OMG Choc Honeycomb aka Vegan Crunchie- Vegan Mofo Day 4




I was inspired after trying the raw chocolate bars at world vegan day and having a discussion with Eve about how honeycomb doesn't normally use honey to make this. I started googling recipes and found out that she is right, why aren't more vegans making and blogging about honeycomb? Actually scratch that, I just found Cindy's post here. I'm not sure how I missed that back in 2009!

So I set out to make my own vegan version of a crunchie or is a violet crumble, I can't remember what the difference is????

Vegan Crunchie I used this recipe for the honeycomb


4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 cup of choc chips


1. Grease a 20 cm (or smaller size if possible) square cake tin or slice tray.

2. In a large saucepan, heat the golden syrup and sugar together, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes. Cooking time will vary but test it by dropping a little syrup into water-it should become brittle when ready. Watch it doesn't burn.

3. Remove pot from heat and add the bicarb soda. Quickly mix it in because the mixture will foam up instantly. Pour immediately into the cake tin. Leave to set.






4. Once cooled remove honeycomb and place on plate or other surface, while melting chocolate in double boiler. Put a thin layer of chocolate in bottom of original pan. Next time I will use baking paper first!

5. Put honeycomb on top of first chocolate layer and add more melted chocolate on top. Let it set (not in the fridge).


It was so so so so awesome, almost exactly like I remembered a violet crumble or cunchie tasting. Although next time I will do a few things differently to get the texture perfect and making cutting easier like using a smaller pan to get thicker bits, using baking paper before putting the choc on the bottom. Also, the texture was a bit too chewy which I think was due to overcooking it slightly or refrigerating it. I'm so excited about the idea of incorporating it in other things like veganising this violet crumble ice cream and caramel violet crumble cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment