Pages

.

Grumpy's Greens

Mr T and I recently went to Melbourne's newest veg restaurant. I was impressed with the couches and the general feel of the place. On Tue night they have $10 mains. Unfortunately though they only have 4 mains to choose from: eggplant parma, pizza, risotto and veg burger. We decided on the risotto and veg burger.

The burger is listed as having cheese and with mustard mayo and they make it vegan by removing both rather than replacing it with vegan versions which left for a relatively bland burger, I ended added tomato sauce to it (that we asked for). The patty itself reminds me of the veg patties you can get in the supermarket which I'm not a huge fan of.


The pumpkin and asparagus risotto is listed as having cheese on it and they also remove that to make it vegan but this time it doesn't appear to affect the taste, it is still quite tasty.

It's disappointing that they don't offer vegan cheese, as I imagine the eggplant parma and pizza won't really be the same without it either.

I've heard rumors that they want all the ingredients to be from Victoria and I understand the wanting to be green, but how green do you think dairy is? I also think relying on cheese in veg meals is just so boring!

I do have small hope for the entrees menu though- the chickpea battered vegetables and marinated tofu skewers sound good but it would be good to see this place have some more interesting vegan choices. Also there are no real vegan breakfast options such as scrambled tofu. At the moment I think I will tend to treat this place more as a bar than a cafe until it hopefully lifts it's vegan game.

Grumpy's Green
125 Smith St
Fitzroy
9416 1944
Tue-sun Midday to late

No comments:

Post a Comment