Pages

.

CERES Cafe- Great Food but Glutened Me

We caught up with Liz when she was in Melbourne a few weeks ago and decided to join her for breaky at ceres cafe. I was delighted to discover that they have two breaky options which can be both vegan and gluten free!

Toby ordered the Indonesian eggs which was naturally gluten free, which they made vegan by substituting the eggs for tofu. This was really good, it featured their yummy smoked tofu with rice, chilli, and vegies.



I ordered their vegan breaky with gf toast. Their vegan breaky comes with smoked tofu, baked beans, spinach, mushroom and grated beetroot.
 



It was delicious

BUT

the toast wasn't gluten free!

When the waitress brought out the breaky, she said 'big vegan breakfast' or whatever it's called, and I said it that with gluten free toast and she said yes. So I almost finished eating it, and thought wow this is great gf toast and then Stephen's breakfast arrived with his gf toast and I realised that it wasn't the same toast. I went and asked a staff member and they confirmed that they had given me regular toast. I seriously wanted to cry because I knew it meant that I was going to be sick.

To be fair, they were super busy and the staff member who took our order was quite apologetic and gave us free meals which is great but it didn't help when I was sick for the next few days, also I was reading online that when a coeliac consumed gluten it takes several weeks for the intestine to heal!

You can read our previous Ceres review here, and other accounts from Steph and Michael.

CERES Cafe
Crn Roberts and Stewarts St
Brunswick East

P.S: Ceres Cafe is distinct from the recently reviewed upmarket Merri Table and Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment