Pages

.

Yong Green Food you make me ...

Edited to add: Ok the original title was yong green food you made me sad but since this negative review, I have received an apology (see comment), refund and had lots of gluten free meals there. See more recent reviews  here and here.

On the weekend, we wanted to eat out somewhere where I was confident that I could get gluten free meals and I remembered from a previous visit that Yong Green Food had several meals that were clearly marked as gluten free and lots of raw food which tend to be gluten free so I though I was pretty safe. I ordered the sandwhich with cashew bread, the filling was tasty and beetrootish, and the bread was raw and gluten free but kind of tasteless and cardboardy, still I was happy to have some bread.

yes more camera phone shots, ooops


Toby, being the sweet husband that he is, ordered a gluten free meal so I could have some. He chose the thai green curry. My first bite was what I thought was a piece of potato but turned out to be some mock meat. I thought it felt gluteny, but since it was marked gluten free maybe it was soy based. Toby asked the waitress what the mockmeat was, and she responded that it was wheat based chicken. She asked if it was ok and I explained that I was allergic to gluten. Instead of being assertive though, I just felt really disheartened and Toby and I really didn't know what to say. Eating even a small amount of gluten can damage the small intestine and cause a range of nasty symptoms for coeliacs! A friend asked later about it, and the staff explained that it was an error on the menu or the menu had changed or something lame. No refunds offered, no real apologies, nothing! If I can't eat at a mostly raw vegetarian cafe, where can I eat? I actually like the food at Yong Green Food like the raw cheesecakes, but how I trust you after this? I really need to employ some of Rachel's awesome letter writing skills



It especially sucked because the day before I had attended training Hotel Grand Chancellor where I was given a gluten free meal- a salad with croutons hidden at the bottom. I only discovered them when I ate into one. It was only my first proper g/f week and the two times I had eaten out I had accidentally eaten gluten. And to make matters worse, they weren't even tasty gluten bits. I'm going to stick to Tart n' Round for a while.

Yong Green Food
421 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy

No comments:

Post a Comment